About The Joinery
Celebrating the Past Through Re-purposing
The Joinery, located on the seam of Humboldt Park, West Bucktown, and Logan Square, is a former wood-working shop which has been transformed into a unique gathering place. The space has been stripped down to its former minimalistic brick and timber beauty and then enhanced with custom lighting and hand-crafted details celebrating the re-use of wood and re-purposing of woodworking machinery. The open floor plan combined with a collection of smaller spaces allows our clients to fully customize their event. From pop-up dinners, not-for-profit fundraisers, and weddings, to neighborhood and family gatherings, we are constantly looking to redefine the ways to join together.
The story of the Joinery begins with its largest sustainable effort which was to save a classic Chicago
building planned for demolition. This not only reduced massive amounts of initial energy and CO2
emissions from demo and new construction but also kept large amounts of construction waste out of
landfills. At The Joinery, we pride ourselves on finding new life for salvaged historical artifacts, from the
existing shell of the building to the re-use of heavy timber lumber, our barn wood tables, and various
hand-made details throughout the space.
Additional Green characteristics include:
· Walkability: Located within a block and a half of an El Stop and (3) major bus lines (Armitage,
Milwaukee, and Western) along with close proximity to local nightlife.
· Daylighting through huge central bay skylight
· LED/ dimmable lighting
· High efficiency HVAC with digital Smart Thermostats
· Low to No VOC paints
· Re-purposing of obsolete machinery for furniture, artifacts and appliances
· Re-use of timbers for stair treads, window framing, farm tables, and various custom details in the
· Environmentally safe cleaning supplies
· Recycling program for all vendors