About Big Delicious Planet
Heidi Coudal founded Big Delicious Planet in 1994 as a backstage rock + roll caterer, providing meals and fulfilling those notorious detailed dressing requirements for thousands of rock bands. Today you’re more likely to find us catering stylish weddings, designing one of a kind events in the middle of our urban farm, and feeding globally inspired cuisine to the employees of Chicago’s Facebook office on a daily basis.
We've hosted some amazing events in our urban farm and canteen: rehearsal dinners, bridal + baby showers, birthday parties and fundraisers. Depending on the weather, it's usually available June through early October. The Canteen is available year round.
Big Delicious Planet was the first caterer in the country to become a 4 Star Certified Green Restaurant. We're 1 of 29 restaurants (the category includes caterers) in the country who have truly gone beyond what a normal food service company would do.
- We have our own organic urban farm where we grow 49 different varieties of vegetables. In 2016 we harvested close to 3,000 pounds of produce from our farm.
- We grow our own microgreens and herbs indoors year-round, and in the winter grow outdoors in our hoop house.
- We work with local farmers to purchase sustainable products.
- We have two beehives in our urban farm.
- We compost all food scraps and biodegradable paper goods from our kitchen and Canteen.
- We donate all our used vegetable oil to a biodiesel service, which turns it into fuel for vehicles and glycerin for soap.
- We have a detailed recycling system in place.
- Our building is geothermal.
- A local shelter picks up our excess food twice a week.
- Our cleaning chemicals meet the highest green standards.
- We've improved our water efficiency by making changes to our faucets.
- We only use compostable disposable dinnerware (unless requested otherwise).
- We support farm-raised meat and ocean-friendly seafood.
- We have reduced the amount of paper we use by installing hand dryers in the restrooms.